Tuesday, April 10, 2012

My Relationship with my Bike

They say falling in love is one of the most incredible and intense feelings; and I would have to say I fully agree. Every spring I fall in love. I really can’t help myself, especially after the painful breakup that happens every winter. I can feel it coming. Days get shorter, temps drop and I spend less and less time with my bike.  Soon the day comes that my mountain bike is stowed away for the winter. We break up and the dry spell begins. If I’m lucky I may get a random hook up over the winter on a vacation to a sunny place, but it will only last a few days and I am back home longing for better times when I could bike every day.  

Then one day the snow starts to melt, the ground starts to dry and there is hope that maybe soon the dry spell will be broken. Then it happens. The trails open. All day all I can think about is that first ride and nothing else seems to matter. Every muscle screams and the lungs burn, but my bike and I have been reunited. All I think about is the next ride and all I want to do is ride every waking hour of the day. All other activities are completed more efficiently to make more time for my bike.  

I ride until I can’t think anymore, until the entire world disappears, until all that is left is me, my bike and the trail and I fall in love over and over and over again. 

1 comment: